For International Women’s day, I decided to summarise my research in five tweets:
- Motherhood is still associated with lower employment rates among women.
- Family policies matter: paid leave facilitates the employment of mothers, but family allowances stimulate the traditional breadwinner model.
- Work-Family reconciliation policies are most important to stimulate the employment of women with traditional gender role attitudes.
- Women’s Employment matters: Their earnings reduce income inequality among coupled households
- Women’s Employment matters: Their earnings reduce single mother poverty