This study, commissioned by the European Parliament’s Policy Department for Citizens’ Rights and Constitutional Affairs at the request of the FEMM Committee, describes trends in the situation of single parents in the EU (with additional evidence from Iceland and Norway). It analyses the resources, employment, and social policy context of single parents and provides recommendations to improve their situation, with attention to the Covid-19 pandemic and its consequences.
This conference analysed the challenges, priorities and operational policies of EU gender policy for the next five years based on the UN’s review of the implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action (Beijing +25). It will also address economic and gender equality issues as well as means to strengthen the connection between gender policy and economic policy in the EU. I gave a plenary address titled “The Triple Bind of Single-Parent Families: What is needed for gender equality in the EU“
Full overview of policy reports
- Nieuwenhuis, R. (2020). The situation of single parents in the EU (Study PE 659.870; p. 98). European Parliament’s Policy Department for Citizens’ Rights and Constitutional Affairs at the request of the FEMM Committee. https://op.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/9f2fce5d-223a-11eb-b57e-01aa75ed71a1/language-en
Nieuwenhuis, R., Munzi, T., Neugschwender, J., Omar, H., & Palmisano, F. (2019). Gender Equality and Poverty are Intrinsically Linked: A Contribution to the Continued Monitoring of Selected Sustainable Development Goals. UN. https://doi.org/10.18356/bd01abcb-en
- Nieuwenhuis, R. (2017). Single parents in Europe need resources, employment and supportive social policies (Peer Review on “Single Mothers Facing Poverty: Providing Adequate Financial, Material and Social Support for Sustainable Social Integration”). DG Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion.
- Nieuwenhuis, R. (2015). Support to lone parents—Comments paper The Netherlands (The EU Mutual Learning Programme in Gender Equality). European Union Rights, Equality and Citizenship Programme (2014-2020).
- Nieuwenhuis (2019). The Triple Bind of Single-Parent Families: What is needed for gender equality in the EU?. Plenary
2019 presentation at the High-Level Conference ’Europe for Gender Equality? Taking Stock – Taking Action’, Finnish Presidency of the Council of Europe
- Nieuwenhuis (2018). Family Policy: The Neglected Determinant of Economic Inequality among All. Presentation at the 2018 conference ’Equal Pensions In The North – Challenges And Opportunities.’, The Swedish Government Offices
- Nieuwenhuis (2018) Family Policy: The Forgotten Determinant of Economic Inequality among All. Keynote at the ETK 2018 conference ‘Gender Inequality in Employment and Pensions’., Finnish Centre for Pensions.