The Triple Bind of Single-Parent Families: Resources, employment and policies to improve well-being is a volume edited by Rense Nieuwenhuis and Laurie C. Maldonado, forthcoming with Policy Press. The book is expected to be available February 2018. More information is available on the Policy Press website.
This website will be updated as more information becomes available. Stay tuned!
Single parents face a triple bind of inadequate resources, employment, and policies, which in combination further complicate their lives.
This book – multi-disciplinary and comparative in design – shows evidence from over 40 countries, along with detailed case studies of Sweden, Iceland, Scotland, and the UK. It covers aspects of well-being that include poverty, good quality jobs, the middle class, wealth, health, children’s development and performance in school, and re ects on social justice.
Leading international scholars challenge our current understanding of what works and draw policy lessons on how to improve the well-being of single parents and their children.
Table of Contents
- The Triple Bind of Single-Parent Families: resources, employment, and policies ~ Rense Nieuwenhuis, Laurie C. Maldonado;
- Single-mother poverty: how much do educational differences in single motherhood matter? ~ Juho Härkönen;
- Income poverty, material deprivation and lone parenthood ~ Morag Treanor;
- Single motherhood and child development in the UK ~ Susan Harkness, Mariña Fernández Salgado;
- Single parenthood and children’s educational performance: inequalities among families and schools ~ Marloes de Lange, Jaap Dronkers;
- Wellbeing among children with single parents in Sweden –focusing on shared residence ~ Emma Fransson, Sara Brolin Låftman, Viveca Östberg, Malin Bergström;
- The “wealth-being” of single parents ~ Eva Sierminska;
- A life course approach to single mothers’ economic wellbeing in different welfare states ~ Hannah Zagel, Sabine Hübgen;
- Doesn’t anyone else care? Poverty among working single parents in Europe ~ Jeroen Horemans, Ive Marx;
- Middle-class single parents ~ Young-hwan Byun;
- Does the use of reconciliation policies enable single mothers to work? A comparative examination of European countries ~ Wim van Lancker;
- Whose days are left? Separated parents’ use of parental leave in Sweden ~ Ann-Zofie Duvander, Nicklas Korsell;
- Matched on job qualities? Single and coupled parents in European comparison. ~ Ingrid Esser, Karen M. Olsen;
- The health penalty of single parents in institutional context ~ Rense Nieuwenhuis, Anne Grete Tøge, Joakim Palme;
- Cash benefits and poverty in single-parent families ~ Jonathan Bradshaw, Antonia Keung, Yekaterina Chzhen;
- The role of universal and targeted family benefits in reducing poverty in single-parent families ~ Ann Morissens;
- Policies and practices for single parents in Iceland ~ Guðný Björk Eydal;
- The structural nature of the inadequate social floor for single-parent families ~ Bea Cantillon, Diego Collado, Natascha Van Mechelen;
- Social Justice, Single Parents and their Children ~ Gideon Calder;
- The Socio-Economics of Single Parenthood: Reflections on The Triple Bind ~ Janet C. Gornick;
- Conclusion ~ Laurie C. Maldonado, Rense Nieuwenhuis.